[fpc-devel] fpcsrc/rtl/unix/video.pp

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Fri Nov 3 13:37:58 CET 2006

Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Matthew V. Kotov wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,Free Pascal development team!
>> >
>> > Sorry, I speak English very bad.
>> >
>> > In file fpcsrc/rtl/unix/video.pp nessesary take away lines:
>> >
>> >          If fpGetEnv('TERM')='xterm' then
>> >            NoExtendedFrame := true;  {use of acs for xterm is ok}
>> >
>> > because it prevents using cyrillic symbols (codepage CP1251).
>>
>> Before we apply this patch: What is the side effect for graphic
>> characters ?
>
> Afaik this kills linedrawing.

This is something to be addressed in video.pp - we need to detect the
character set supported by console at startup (optionally with a
possibility to change it later on). This is something we partly touched in
discussion with Daniel in Eindhoven (but I haven't managed to do anything
regarding video.pp since then, unfortunately :-((( ). Ability to use
linedrawing characters directly depends on that, obviously.

Does anybody here have an idea how to address that issue in Unix/Linux
environment (like an environment variable similar to TERM, etc.)? I can
imagine we might need to define our own solution if no standard solution
exists (e.g. we might require users to setup some environment variable
explicitly on systems not providing such information in an automated way,
plus have some reasonable default).

Tomas