[fpc-devel] Re: dominant short strings in compiler source

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Sat May 20 17:00:29 CEST 2006

On 18 May 06, at 13:50, L505 wrote:

 .
> have tight custom units with no end user units like sysutils. One way to accomplish this,
> like I've already mentioned, is to use shortstring/longstring/array of string/ based Dos
> unit, using shortstrings where necessary, arrays of strings where necessary, and arrays of
> chars or longstrings where necessary. An array of char is just a dumb longstring, that's
> all. Upgraded Dos unit could contain some functions pulled in from sysutils, but not
> actual sysutils in the uses clause - just some optimized systutils pulled in and put into
> the upgraded dos unit. Still keeping the old Dos unit for compatibility for users, name
> the new upgraded dos unit anything - newdos.pp, whatever.
 .
 .

It would be much more than just unit Dos - you'd
need changes in at least System (string
manipulation routines), strings (StrPCopy) and
many parts of the compiler itself.

Regarding unit Dos - providing PChar versions of
some routines might be of general use, probably
more useful than longstrings.

Tomas