[fpc-devel] Output flush on pipes

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun May 14 21:42:53 CEST 2006

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:57:04 -0600
L505 <fpc505 at z505.com> wrote:

> > On Sun, 14 May 2006, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> >
> > > The error numbers didn't change, they are keep unique.
> > >
> > > I propose to do the following:
> > > - add an option -vm (machine readable output)
> > > Using this option the compiler outputs the messages csv like and
> > > flushes after each message:
> > > <tab> complete error message <tab> message template (i.e. Type $1
> > >
> > > To avoid trouble with future versions, a header line will describe
> > > each column.
> >
> > Why not output XML, then ?
> >
> > <fpc-output>
> > <error file='name.pas' line='xyz' col='nm' code='ABC'
> > params="X,Y,Z">Message
> text</error>
> > <warning file='name.pas' line='xyz' col='nm' code='ABC'
> > params="X,Y,Z">warning
> text</warning>
> > <info file='name.pas' line='xyz' col='nm' code='ABC' params="X,Y,Z">info
> > text</info> </fpc-output>
> >
> > It is extensible. Many parsing tools... Just a thought.
>
> Because an IDE must be fast fast fast - this is  case where speed really
> is an issue (where in many other cases, speed is the last issue people
> should be worrying about) Maybe even a binary array format (I know people

Lazarus parses the output, splits the message into several parts, let it
parse by plugins and extend the filenames. This costs almost no time versus
the work of the compiler and TListBox and the gnome-terminal. For example
using an xterm instead speeds up the output noticeable. And yes, lazarus
writes in chunks, not line by line.
Please no binary format. xml is ok. The first proposal was ok too.

Mattias