[fpc-devel] Output flush on pipes

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Sun May 14 19:32:01 CEST 2006

On Sunday 14 May 2006 17.16, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> > I need no machine readable output (up to now), I need a way to get
> > flushed writeln output from the RTL on widows to display it in the MSEide
> > message window (compiler output) and the target window (program output).
> > On linux I use a PTY to connect compiler and target -> all is OK, on
> > win32 I can only use pipes AFAIK where the RTL doesn't flush output on
> > writeln.
>
> I don't think that it is wise to flush always when writing to pipes only
> for the compiler. -vm could for now force an additional flush.

The problem exists not only for the compiler but for all console programs.
I found no way to display the interactive output in a IDE window on win32.
On Linux I can use a pseudo terminal to get flushed output from target.
There are no pseudo terminals on win32, I must use pipes. The current 2.0.3
RTL does not flush output on writeln if the filehandle is a pipe (2.0.2
does!). So the IDE target console window is unusable on win32 with FPC 2.0.3
RTL and works OK with FPC 2.0.2 RTL.