[fpc-devel] Output flush on pipes

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sun May 14 08:48:07 CEST 2006

Op Sun, 14 May 2006, schreef Martin Schreiber:

> Since some time FPC doesn't  flush output on pipes after writeln.
> On linux I can use a pseudo terminal, what can I do on win32 to get flushed
> output from FPC into the message window of MSEide?

It is strongly recommended against to parse the compiler output, as it is
designed for humans, not computers. The formatting of the compiler output
can therefore change in time and can also be configured by the user in any
language. Some people are doing it anyway, like Lazarus.

The compiler has an interface designed for computers and that is through
the compiler and comphook units. This allows you to retrieve the messages
neatly. If you want process separation, please write a wrapper that puts
the messages in a computer friendly way, and we'll include it in FPC.

About flushing the output, I think it is impossible to receive the output
interactively currently, it will output in bursts. You should still be
able to receive the output, though. If you want to receive it
interactively, I think we can modify the compiler to flush after each
message. But again, I do not recommend this approach.

Daniël