[fpc-devel] a shared library suggestion

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed May 10 10:48:33 CEST 2006

> It does get very very tedious to type all this out for large libraries with 50 functions
> or so.
> If you want to economize the size of the library you turn off the {$DEFINE DEBUG}
>
> Do you know that FPC will have a Package system available in fpc 2.1.1, sooner or later?
> It will require shipping the RTL in a package, I think - which means we get into Package
> hell like BPL's offered. I'd rather have the ability to load one package and not have to
> ship the RTL as a package.

That's the problem. The package _also_ requires the RTL. But maybe Borland
only choice the "easy" solution and are there several.

Moreover, for the "hell" FPC it would be worse. There are maybe 20 Delphi
versions, but way more Free Pascal versions, specially if you count the
Lazarus intermediate releases based on snapshot versions