[fpc-devel] FPC and OpenMP support.

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 17 11:35:32 CET 2006

Op Fri, 17 Mar 2006, schreef Alexander Todorov:

> On 3/17/06, Daniël Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > I don't plan to put effort in OpenMP support; I don't see the need
> > for an external library to be able to do multithreaded programming. Focus
> > here should be on 100% Pascal implementations.
>
> Am I missing something here ? OpenMP is a standard not a library. It
> uses fork-join model, which is a task of the compiler not external
> library. MPI though uses an external library. Correct me if I am
> wrong.

It is a combination of a language extension and a library. The language
extensions are of course only defined C and Fortran, so this part would
need to be redesigned for Pascal.

Then we have the library, for which what I wrote applies; I doubt if there
is a desire for an external C library to get multithreaded programs. Ok,
the standard only specifies the interface (in C & Fortran). You can
implement an openMP inspired library in Pascal, but I think we
would better design something that fits well with the existing
multithreading facilities in Pascal.

Daniël