[fpc-devel] OS aware RTL proposal

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 12:57:33 CET 2006

> a: Old syscalls will be used on new OSes if the binary was compiled on old ones

Would this work?

> b: Non-existing syscalls will be used on old OSes if the binary was compiled on new ones

Does this problem really exist on the rtl??? I distribute software in
binary form for Linux and I never had trouble with old kernels.

On 3/12/06, Daniƫl Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
> Using libc will by definition cause dependency problems on the libc
> version. Add to that that different libc's are more incompatible that just
> the linking errors. In other words if you want to support multiple
> distributions, you *must* use syscalls.

I find a great advantage of Free Pascal that we are free from the libc
nightmare. You can compile once and expect it to run on all distros
and even the very old ones!

On c, because of glibc, you need to recompile for each libc version
you are targeting =(

I find it very frustrating when I cannot upgrade the packages of my
distro because once again the developers of libc broke the ABI and now
I need to reinstall everything =/ And beliave me, they like to break
the ABI often.

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho