[fpc-devel] OS aware RTL proposal

Ales Katona almindor at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 11:29:29 CET 2006

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>How does this make it a reason ?
>
>libfprtl will always be specific to the distribution it was compiled on.
>If tuned, it should be tuned to that system.
>
>Just like libc or any library close to the system is. Don't try to copy
>a binary libc.so from a SuSE to a Fedora system, it won't work.
>Just like you shouldn't copy kernel32.dll from Windows XP to Windows 2003.

I don't think this is feasible. It would be if you'd get it into those
distroes but people will want to take their own < 1mb libfprtl.so with
them rather than copy 30mb fpc on various distroes with their apps.

Ofcourse the question is, do we want to utilize libfprtl.so at all?
How do we want to cope with new features in OSes?

Ales