[fpc-devel] add external links to fpdoc generated documents

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at quicknet.nl
Fri Mar 10 16:16:04 CET 2006

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to add a link to external documentation in a fpdoc
>> generated document file. Is this possible.
>>
>> For example:
>> On
>> http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/lcl/xmlpropstorage/txmlpropstorage.html
>> I would like a "See also" link to
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/TXMLPropStorage. This is
>> a wiki document that contain more explanation, images and has a place
>> for user comments.
>

> It is currently not possible. The reason is that fpdoc can also
> be used to generate PDF or Latex or plain text or RTF docs, and these
> don't support links.
>
> But I think it's something we can add. What did you have in mind ?

I haven't given much thought yet, so I will think something up, while
typing. ;-)

What I tried was this:
http://www.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/docs/xml/lcl/xmlpropstorage.xml?root=lazarus&rev=8903&view=diff&r1=8904&r2=8902&p1=trunk/docs/xml/lcl/xmlpropstorage.xml&p2=/trunk/docs/xml/lcl/xmlpropstorage.xml

But that didn't work, so I started reading the docs about the <seealso>
tag and the <link> tag. I think that can be extended to allow external
links, or maybe you want to give it a different name: <externallink
id="#wiki:TXMLPropStorage">My descriptive text</externallink>. The part
before the colon must be externally configurable, so that you don't need
to change the xml files, if the hosting server changes. Actually just
like xct file references to other packages.

For example:
fpcmake --externallink="wiki=http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/"

Vincent.