[fpc-devel] 2.0.4-rc2 macosx stuff

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Fri Jul 21 14:13:45 CEST 2006

Schindler Karl-Michael wrote:
> Am 20. Jul 2006 um 22:33 schrieb Tomas Hajny:
 .
 .
>> 3) The files get tagged and exported as before
>> (let me know whether you prefer .tar.gz or .zip
>> sources in future builds - we can have both if
>> needed).
>
> I would prefer tar.gz, since it is smaller.

Will do it like this next time then.

>> 4) If needed, the files might get updated with
>> new checksums and committed to SVN (but not to
>> the release branch - only trunk and fixes) by
>> somebody.
>
> That sounds ok. The main point is to submit updated versions (paths
> and names of tar balls and MD5sums) to fink, which I would do after
> the final 2.0.4 version is ready. Keeping the updated version in the
> fixes branch would serve for documentation. However, this is their
> only purpose, since the versions in fpcbuild are not used in any way.

OK.

>> Note: Committing of the updated version to SVN in
>> the last step probably isn't strictly necessary
>> (possibly not even useful). Instead of doing
>> that, you might supply a script for update of the
>> checksums instead (and include that script in
>> /fpcbuild/install too), or put this functionality
>> to Makefile.
>
> I have a script that supports me when preparing the bootstrap
> compiler tar ball, which also calculates the MD5sums. I hardly dare
> to publish that, since it is more like a ToDo list (:-) Basically,
> putting final version to trunk and fixes should be good enough.

OK. As a next step (probably after 2.0.4, but preferably immediately
afterwards, so that it isn't forgotten ;-) ), I'd recommend trying to
clean up and generalize the script, so that it can be submitted to SVN and
possibly used by other people too. As part of this, the current .info
files could be transformed to templates (similar to install.sh processing
in makepack). The FTP paths would only be supplied as parameters of your
script at that time (their validity could be optionally checked at that
time from the script by trying to list those directories to avoid typing
errors).

>> Comments, opinions?
>
> It would be easier, to keep the .info files somewhere else, outside
> of fpcbuild. Is this possible/feasable? I do not know, who put them
> in fpcbuild in the first place and for what reasons.

Our repository is the most reliable place (permanently distributed to many
machines :-) ), everybody knows it and has access to it, and it should
include all resources needed for building, so that's OK. However, we might
really want to only keep some templates there in the future and fill-in
the dynamic part during the build process.

Tomas