[fpc-devel] LinkLib Issues In Lazarus and in FPC-2.0.2

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Jul 17 10:51:32 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:50:33AM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> >- for 2.0.2  manually create relevant symlinks to the libs.
> >- for 2.0.4, use linkaliasing
> >
> >>Funny! I moved away from Linux mainly because of Library-Hell issues :-)
>
> Library hell exists on all platforms. Running from it is futile.

It is not a purely qualitative thing.  You can try to minimize it. All
distro's do this to some extend.

> Maybe the maintainers of one platform/OS distribution do slightly better
> than the others, but in essence the problem always exists.
>
> Even on Windows, where there is only 1 manufacturer, the problem exists.

Windows native misses any library versioning, which is why it is quite
notorious. .NET has quit elaborate library (assembly) versioning, but
rumours are that the constant security patches can cause problems too.