[fpc-devel] Minimum installation requirements

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Fri Jan 20 00:43:41 CET 2006

> If I wrote a program like Notepad in Delphi, what would be the minimum installation
> requirements to get the program up and  running on a computer that just had
> Windows freshly installed?

If you use regular Delphi and VCL it can be anywwhere from 300-500K.
If you use Delphi with KOL you can build a notepad clone which is about 40K-50K in size, which is smaller than the notepad that comes with Windows.
Any program 40K-500K in size like this should work on a 486 66mHZ or pentium 75 or lower since it mainly relies on the operating system DLL's which are already in memory elsewhere.
Delphi does not require any DLL's other than the operating system's for programs like this.