[fpc-devel] GUID's under Linux

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Feb 20 13:36:19 CET 2006

> On 16 feb 2006, at 08:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
> > How to I create a GUID under Linux?  I executed the code below under
> > Windows without error.  I then tested my code under Linux and it tells
> > me "Identifier not found 'CreateGUID'".  When I Ctrl+Click on
> > CreateGUID, it takes me to sysutilh.inc at line 174, which is a
> > function that does exist!
> >
> > I am running Ubuntu Linux 5.10, Lazarus 0.9.13 and FPC 2.0.2
>
> It works fine for me with fpc 2.0.2 under Darwin, can't see either
> why it wouldn't work on Linux.

Implementations don't seem the same?

- Linux seems to try kernel then falls back to generating an own using
	urandom.
- Solaris, FreeBSD4 and Darwin always use urandom.
- FreeBSD5 uses syscall or libc function depending on FPC_USE_LIBC

I assume Solaris/Darwin could attempt kernel generation too (depending on
major OS version maybe, like FreeBSD), Linux is missing libc implementation
and always does an own thing bypassing system libs.