[fpc-devel] Re: help with softfloat for arm big endian crosscompiler

Terry Kemp tkemp at klc.net.nz
Wed Dec 13 21:17:43 CET 2006

Digest mode... forgive the de-threading.

I am using a Linksys NSLU2. The NSLU2 is based on an Intel XScale IXP420
processor, clocked at 266MHz.The device has 32MB of SDRAM, 8MB of NOR
Flash, built-in 10/100 (not yet supported in litte-endian mode), and
dual USB 2.0 ports. The Linksys firmware, bootloader, kernel,
proprietary ethernet drivers are big endian. There is a debian LE OS but
I will lose the ethernet port.

I will try with fpc 2.1.x - but I have had no problems to date with the
2.0.4 or 2.0.5 armeb fpc other than the current issue with floating
point. I am at 2440 lines of code - with the application talking to
remote I/O and VFD screen via USB serial for machine control.

If I compile with {E+} the code compiles but running it on the NSLU2 it
just sits there. Running under qemu-armeb works either way.

I am thinking that maybe I need to compile ppcarm with the gcc from the
Optware crosstool toolchain...

$ls ~/optware/toolchain/armv5b-softfloat-linux/gcc-3.3.5-glibc-2.2.5/bin
armv5b-softfloat-linux-addr2line  armv5b-softfloat-linux-cpp
armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcov     armv5b-softfloat-linux-ranlib
fix-embedded-paths
armv5b-softfloat-linux-ar         armv5b-softfloat-linux-g++
armv5b-softfloat-linux-ld       armv5b-softfloat-linux-readelf
armv5b-softfloat-linux-as         armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc
armv5b-softfloat-linux-nm       armv5b-softfloat-linux-size
armv5b-softfloat-linux-c++        armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc-3.3.5
armv5b-softfloat-linux-objcopy  armv5b-softfloat-linux-strings
armv5b-softfloat-linux-c++filt    armv5b-softfloat-linux-gccbug
armv5b-softfloat-linux-objdump  armv5b-softfloat-linux-strip

How would I do this if this is indeed my problem?