[fpc-devel] 2.0.4-rc3 available

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Aug 15 11:29:00 CEST 2006

Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> I don't know yet whether it will be worth the effort, but it
>> looks as though it could be done if necessary.
>
> It isn't. I never saw the TP compilability of later 1.0.x versions
> confirmed, and even before 1.0 times, special care need to be taken (due
> TP's memory restraints).
>
> But more importantly, also for a bootstrapping process you need the
> binutils. And if you have that, crosscompiling is way, way easier.

More importantly, it wouldn't help anyway. First of all, you need a code
generator for the particular CPU plus RTL for the particular platform.
Both are needed regardless of performing the real compilation natively on
that platform or by cross-compilation (i.e. creating code for one platform
on another platform, whatever the procedure would look like regarding
binutils). As already pointed out by Peter, FPC currently has code
generator for neither Alpha nor Itanium CPUs, and there's no RTL for
OpenVMS available either.

Tomas