[fpc-devel] $IF issues

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Mon Aug 14 12:32:56 CEST 2006

Op Mon, 14 Aug 2006, schreef Vincent Snijders:

> You miss the point: Delphi compatibility mode is for people who develop for
> FPC, but want to compile occasionally in Delphi.

It can be used that way, but its main purpose is to support Delphi
constructions that we consider broken and therefore do not want in objpas
mode. To write new code that is compilable by both FPC and Delphi, Objpas
mode should suit as well as Delphi mode.

> In the current situation they
> are not aware of this weakness of Delphi (no support of $ENDIF for $IF), until
> they compile in Delphi. But maybe Graeme should make a Delphi feature request
> too (and see which is honoured first) :-)

In all modes a significant portion of FPC functionality is still enabled;
the modes not designed with this goal in mind. It will always be possible
to write code in FPC that Delphi doesn't accept; for example there exists
no sane way you can prevent people from using FPC specific features in the
RTL.

Daniël