[fpc-devel] $IF issues

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Mon Aug 14 11:43:33 CEST 2006

Op Mon, 14 Aug 2006, schreef Graeme Geldenhuys:

> On 8/14/06, Peter Vreman <peter at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > > Is this a feature or a FPC bug?  FPC allows the $IF to be closed
> > > with
> > > the $ENDIF as well as the $IFEND.  This is not Delphi compatible.
> > >
> > > The closing tag for $IF is $IFEND
> > > The closing tag for $IFDEF is $ENDIF

As I read it, $IF/$IFEND was added to Delphi in Delphi 6. FPC supports
this construction much longer, I think since the 0.9.x series. The FPC way
has always been to use $ENDIF and FPC will of course not break
compatibility with itself. Go ask Borland why they wanted to be FPC
incompatible :)

> > Feature.
>
> Maybe this should be controlled by the compiler mode?  Delphi vs
> ObjFPC.  Or should we leave it up to the developer to remember which
> one to use when writing code to be compiled with Delphi and FPC?

You could make it dependent on the compiler mode, but I don't see the
point, any Delphi code will still compile.

Daniël