[fpc-devel] LGPL vs BSD

peter green plugwash at P10Link.net
Fri Aug 4 23:52:11 CEST 2006

> - commercial libraries get a dual license: gpl and proprietary (you can
> develop non gpl software if you pay). This works, see e.g. Qt, MySQL etc.
it kinda works and it does bring in money for development but it also means your project cannot absorb code from any other open source project without getting special permission from that projects developers and many people will feel very uneasy about contributing code due to the one sided terms of the license "we and only we can make money from its use in propietry apps". I belive in the case of QT the only reason its GPL at all is to get it into the distros.

QT's popularity is a result of free software developers missing the boat on getting a good universal widget set in order (they then iirc hurried to turn GTK into one), i'm not sure what brought mysql to prominance.