[fpc-devel] LGPL vs BSD

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 4 10:15:34 CEST 2006

No, it does not have to be available. As I said:

>> This means that you have to
>> either provide the source of your program, link dynamically to the
>> library (most common case), or in case of static linking make all
>> compiled object files of your application available.

Note the "either". Only the full source of the library must be made
available on request.

> * Any changes made to the library must be available on request.

This is implicit because of the fact that the source of the library
must be available on request. Note that you are only obliged to
provide these library sources to people who have legitimate access to
the application in question, i.e. those who bought it or otherwise
obtained a valid license from you to use the application (although
you are free to make them publicly available to everyone, of course).

> To recap BSD:
> * You can use the library in commercial and free apps.
> * You can link statically or dynamically to the library without
> releasing your commercial code.
> * You do not need to release any code changes made to the library.

Correct.

> Regarding the credits to authors.  Wasn't there a change in the BSD
> license (revision 2 or something) where giving credit is not required
> anymore. Example you can create a commercial app (Mac OS 10 comes to
> mind) and don't need to mention any credits in you app.

There is a document /Library/Documentation/Acknowledgements.rtf which
credits every single bit of open source code used in Mac OS X.

The Modified BSD license can be found at (see in particular point 2).
   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

What was left out was the "advertising clause", which said:

"     * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of
this software
       *    must display the following acknowledgement:
       *    This product includes software developed by the
University of
       *    California, Berkeley and its contributors."

You still have to credit people whose source you use in your source
code and documentation.

Jonas