[fpc-devel] GetAppConfigDir under Unices

dannym danny.milo at gmx.net
Fri Nov 4 17:15:08 CET 2005

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 04.11.2005, 05:46 +0100 schrieb Michalis Kamburelis:
> Hi
>
> I just tested SysUtils.GetAppConfigDir under Linux and I see that it
> returns
>    GetHomeDir + ApplicationName
> (when Global = false). Shouldn't it rather return
>    GetHomeDir + '.' + ApplicationName
> ? Config directories in user's home dir traditionally start with '.' to
> be somewhat "hidden". I would expect GetAppConfigDir to follow this
> practice.

actually by now it is (among others) GetHomeDir + '/.config/' +
ApplicationName, according to the Desktop Base Directory Spec

"$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user
specific configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is
either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should be
used."
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

I guess someone died the death of a thousand dotfiles, and figured that
it can't continue like that :)

> Michalis

cheers,
   Danny