[fpc-devel] Cant link - "memory exhausted"

Michael Preslar mike at lordlegacy.com
Mon May 30 05:41:22 CEST 2005

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> If you want dead code to be stripped from your own written code, you
> must turn on the generation of smartlinkable code (-CX), and of  course
> also smartlinking (-XX)

First off, Im a newbie to FPC, so when I see something on the list, I
give it a try to see how it affects my code. (And when I run into
something I dont understand, I ask about it) Seeing the bit about -CX
and -XX, I gave it a shot.

My command line:

fpc -va -XS -CX -XX -O3 -So -Fu~/manndoor/units
-Fu~/manndoor/units/elecom -Fu~/manndoor/units/unix lord.pas

Everything compiles .. but then it cant link.

Searching file /bin/LD... not found
Searching file /usr/bin/ld... found
Using util /usr/bin/ld
lord.pas(1841,1) Error: Can't call the linker, switching to external linking
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
did not specifiy a source file to be compiled)

(This is something thats been discussed on the list before, but no
conclusion was achieved). ppas.sh is created, so I run that.

Without -CX, the program wont link the first time I run ppas.sh, but
will when I run ppas.sh a second time.

With -CX, the program compiles, but wont link, ppas.sh is created. I run
ppas.sh and it still wont link. "libpvol1.a: could not read symbols:
Memory exhausted" ..

Whats this mean? Not enough memory available to the linker? 'top' shows
about 44 megs free.. ("Mem:  1031620k av,  987652k used,   43968k free,
       0k shrd,  147196k buff")