[fpc-devel] removed MaxAvail,MemAvail,HeapSize

Konstantin Münning konstantin at muenning.com
Mon May 23 10:22:51 CEST 2005

Hi Micha!

Thanks for the amusing comments :-). Let me add some of mine.

Micha Nelissen wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 02:29:48 +0200
> Konstantin Münning <konstantin at muenning.com> wrote:
>

>>But when there is no memory left and you need
>>some you can't behave perfect. Please let it be the programmers choice
>>what to do and how to handle this.
>

> It is. Exceptions, ReturnNil, ...

How much can you limit the choice and still pretend that you can choose?

>>A compiler should be providing the
>>means, not taking them away.
>

> Environment changes sometimes you know! Thus, so does the RTL. There are new means now.

New means are good. I'm happy with this. But the removal of some
"basics" which is not really enforced by the environment is what makes
me unhappy.

>>Anybody writing a program knows that there
>>may be flaws. A warning (with an advice how to make it better) should
>>still be the best for this.
>

> Warning: compilation failure; make it better: here on mailing list.

Hint: a failure is not a warning.

>>I would hapily contribute the code for a better MemAvail/MaxAvail
>>function if that's the problem. I would like to be able to use the
>>latest compiler which now I definitely can't as I must have the BP7
>>compatibility which is very good in 1.0.10.
>

> Well, define these functions in your own compatibility unit then ?

The -So autoload of such a unit as discussed with Florian would do the
job so you don't have to change the good'ol code ;-).

Konstantin

P.S.: Please remember - the PC you are using is still around not because
it's good but because it's compatible - you can still run the first
programs although most of the old games are unplayable on todays
hardware ;-). Quite everybody seems to be happy with this "bug".