[fpc-devel] lazarus bug report + fix: Utf8ToUnicode doesn't work correctly

Danny Milosavljevic danny.milo at gmx.net
Wed May 4 18:58:32 CEST 2005

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2005, 12:49 +0200 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

> > > The files in the zip file are not usable; They're in some unicode format,
> > > which
> > > I can't use nor check on Linux.
> >
> > They're plain UTF-8. I know for a fact there are editors under Linux which
> > support that (at least emacs does, and it would surprise me immensely if vim
> > doesn't). Anyway, here's the plain ascii version of the "-fixed" file.
>
> I already got it from Vincent and applied the patch. But:
> - diff doesn't grok unicode.
diff doesn't need to, its line-based anyways. If you mean the displaying
of unicode, check widechar xterm compilation option (uxterm) [or for
text console, the unicode_start script and loadkeys -u].

> - "joe" doesn't grok it either.
joe 3 does (joe 3 rocks in other ways too :))

> - "kate" & "kwrite" - no grok.
> - PFE (Windows) doesn't grok it either.
> - Apparently vim converts to plain ascii before editing.
> - Last but not least: The FPC Compiler also doesn't grok unicode :-)
I didnt notice it doesnt yet ... but maybe the char<->character
weirdness appears with utf-8 (which cannot be fixed except by fixing the
language definition itself).

> So much for unicode :/

It used to be a hell of a lot of work to set up unicode to work with
linux, but nowadays distros support it out of the box :) (except
gentoo :P although I have a patch with all the neccessary bits already
done open with them)

What distro do you use ?

> Michael.

cheers,