[fpc-devel] utf8 reading

Uberto Barbini uberto at ubiland.net
Thu Mar 10 20:10:52 CET 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 19:51, Uberto Barbini wrote:
> > >UCS-2 is different from utf-16 (which is escaped),
> >
> > nope. UCS originally wasn't escaped, but they changed that "recently"
>
> Could you point me to a official document?
> In the Unicode site I don't find anything.
> Anyway with escaping UCS2 when UCS2 definition is utf-16 without encoding?

ok, I found it in the FAQ at Unicode site.
UCS2 is the old standard, before the need for escaping, now is considered
obsolete by utf-16.
So one can use UCS2 and do renunce to some asian alphabeths or use UCS4 that
is not escaped, at least in Unicode version 4.1 and in foreable future.
Now Unicode use 21 bits of 32.

Bye Uberto