[fpc-devel] Small Wstrings problem

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Tue Jun 28 06:55:15 CEST 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 21.19, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Maybe we should reconsider the idea of a new string type: ref. counting
> and containing a field contain the encoding. The widestring is very
> windows specific anyways.

My needs (native pascal cross platform gui with design id, internal text
representation is UCS-2 for all visible components) :

- a string type which has 16 bit characters.
- is not limited in length.
- has the most possible performance on copying, allocation and deallocation.
- is compatible with pwidechar (or similar) for efficient pointer arithmetic.
- has the same behavior on all  platforms.
- index can be null based (preferred).
- copy on write by accessing a character by index is not needed.
- works with checkpointer (checkpointer saves my life many times!).

This is a simple (dynamic) array of widechar!

Similar we can introduce (dynamic)  array of char and (dynamic) array of
32bitchar.

Martin