[fpc-devel] Library and unit search paths under MacOSX with fpc 2.0.0?

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Wed Jun 15 14:24:55 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:09:22AM +0200, Marc Weustink wrote:
> Micha Nelissen wrote:
> >On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:29:54 +0200
> >Ales Katona <almindor at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Your fpc.cfg file is ether not existing, in the wrong place or wrongly
> >>configured. I don't know where it should be on MacOSX but if you find it

It is installed in /etc/fpc.cfg and that is where I have left it, and where
fpc on Mac OS X searches for it.  But read on ...

> >It's not so simple, I think, because otherwise he also wouldn't find RTL
> >units like system and sysutils. It seems the '*' construct doesn't work on
> >MacOSX ?
>
> It does (and you have it seen working :)

Well, rtl is mentioned separately as well, even though it is subsumed in the *.
Actually .../* occurs before .../rtl in fpc.cfg; isn't that a bit odd?  I
could imagine that you put .../rtl before .../* so that it finds rtl units
quicker.  But the other way round doesn't make sense to me.  You might
as well leave out .../rtl.  Did I miss something?

> To Tom:
> Try to compile with -va and look at the output to find out what files
> are searched.

Thank you.  I just did, and Aaargghh ... shame on me.  I still had a ~/.fpc.cfg
from a very early installation, and it was no good for the current installation.
This resolves the issue of finding the units gtk and contnrs.

However, it still doesn't explain why under Linux, I don't have to add
any extra library search paths, but under Mac OS X, I do (N.B. without
the -Fl... it still does not work, even now that the right fpc.cfg is used).

Furthermore, Lazarus will still not compile.  It gets quite a bit further
now, but it chokes on compiling PropertyStorage.pas with

	Fatal: Can't find unit RTLConst

It turns out that I do have rtlconsts.ppu, that is, with an extra 's'.
I suspect this is a Lazarus issue.

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology