[fpc-devel] Library and unit search paths under MacOSX with fpc 2.0.0?

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Tue Jun 14 23:22:00 CEST 2005

I have a "standard release" installation of fpc 2.0.0 under Mac OS X.

I installed GTK through fink (as explained in the Lazarus wiki).
This has given me GTK 1.2.10.  No problems so far.

When I try to compile the following simple GTK Pascal tutorial program

PROGRAM base;

USES gtk;

VAR window : pGtkWidget;

BEGIN
  gtk_init(@argc, @argv); { Initialise GTK }
  window := gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);  { Create a new window }
  gtk_widget_show(window);
  gtk_main();
END.

with fpc, I need to add the following command-line options

	-Fl/sw/lib -Fl/usr/X11R6/lib

as well as

	-Fu/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.0/units/powerpc-darwin/gtk

The first two caught me by surprise, but some tracking resolved this.
However, under Linux, I don't need to specify further library locations.
How come?

Is there any documentation where this can be found?  Is there a place
where I can put this info in the FPCWiki?

But the need for -Fu is downright strange, because the "standard" /etc/fpc.cfg
(which I have not changed) has the line

	-Fu/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.0/units/$fpctarget/*

Why does it not find the gtk directory?  Under Linux it simply works.

In fact, when I try to compile Lazarus under Mac OS X with

	make clean all

it dies with

	Fatal: Can't find unit Contnrs

It should find the Contnrs unit in

	/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.0/units/powerpc-darwin/fcl

which should be searched because of the -Fu line shown above in /etc/fpc.cfg.

What is the problem?  And how can it be repaired?

Best regards,

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology