[fpc-devel] Patch to speed up Uppercase/Lowercase functions

Christian Iversen chrivers at iversen-net.dk
Sat Jun 11 00:00:24 CEST 2005

On Friday 10 June 2005 17:16, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't know if rtl-optimilisation patches have a large priority, but
> nevertheless this patch improves the speed of the sysutils.uppercase and
> lowercase functions.

A more efficient optimization would use a forward for-loop. Modern processors
are better suited for "normal" loops*, and the most compilers optimize them
better.

* For instance, the P4 has "data stream detection", which means that it can
pre-cache data used in a first-to-last-byte manner, but not
last-to-first-byte.

Christian Iversen