[fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 9 22:27:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, André Cipriani Bandarra wrote:

> Well..
>     I had spent a lot of time thinking about how to contribute to FPC. I
> thought about contributing with a string phonetizer algoritm i made, but
> its works only for the portuguese language, so i thought i wouldnt be
> much usefull for most of the FPC community.
>     Some days ago i contributed to FPC with a stringcomparator unit
> based on the Jaro, Winkler McLachlan and Lynch algorithms, known as the
> best ones to compare strings, giving them a grade between 0 and 1 (0
> being no similarity between them and 1 being exactly the same).
>     So, here goes my questions... I had no feedback for the string
> comparison unit so far... Was that a good contribution? Would it be a
> good idea to contribute with the phonetic algorithm even knowing that it
> works only for the portuguese language?

Any contribution is good :-)

Currently, there is a soundex() algorithm in strutils; the soundex algorithm
is geared towards the english language. Having one for the portugese language
is definitely good. It would even be better if we could somehow unite the
algorithms witha suitable parametrization; I'm unfortunately not enough of
an expert to be able to carry this out...

Michael.