[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jun 2 18:04:32 CEST 2005

> On Thursday 02 June 2005 13:38, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> > > I'am a poor delphi programmer, didn't use it for years, but I bet
> > > with any python programmer that I create any application faster
> > > than him :)
> >
> > You must be a damn fast typer then :)
>
> No, that's a common misunderstanding (especially amongst C-programmers).
>
> What matters is designing und understanding the code, not writing it. I
> spend less than 10% of my time at work in actually _writing_ code, so
> even if someone can type in his/her code twice as fast, the maximum
> (s)he would gain would be five percent in overall performance.

I doubt you would get that high.

A educated typist can get over >120 keys/min (and that is already lowered
because of many shifts, with real text it). I don't think the avg line of code
is longer than 20 chars. That is 360 lines/hr. SLOC, not code with whitespace,
and not counting generated code with codetools.

Most of the time of entry is spent in navigating and searching, not code
adding. And then data entry is only a small part overall.