[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Jamie McCracken jamie-junk at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 15:28:32 CEST 2005

> MyObject.Create is impossible with classes on the heap. You need to
> assign MyObject a pointer but you can't do that from within create.

sorry myobject is the pointer so a better example would be :

var strlist : Tstringlist;

strlist.create;

This should be easy as you know the pointer type.

> Forward declarations are IMHO required because otherwise the compiler
> would have to make additional passes(it does 3 AFAIK).

They are not required in a multipass compiler. If you cant resolve a
symbol on a single pass you can do so on a subsequent one.

> Besides, they are seldom enough to be a problem.

Pain in the arse they are. Its annoying and makes use of the code
explorer a neccsity when dealing with large classes. Its a total waste
of my time.

> How does python handle modularity btw?

WHat do you mean?

Im a Delphi programmer not a python one (though Ive done bits and pieces
in python) but I do envy its less verbose syntax as its just as clean
and clear.

jamie.