[fpc-devel] Patch: Exception handling without SysUtils

Yury Sidorov jura at ce.blagovest.com
Thu Jul 7 20:17:20 CEST 2005

From: "Florian Klaempfl" <florian at freepascal.org>
>> I found that try...except and try...finally do not work if SysUtils unit
>> is
>> not used (exception handling code is not called).
>> The following patch fixes this issue.
>
> Not using sysutils means that you don't want exceptions. If you want to
> have run
> time errors converted into exceptions use sysutils. The patch has another
> probably undesired side effect: imaging someone installed an own errorproc
> release resources (memory etc.) if he did so, he won't get that exception.

I think try/finally/except should work without SysUtils. It works in Delphi.
For example KOL library does not use SysUtils, but programmer can use
try/finally/except to write crash-proof code.

In my final patch the described side effect with ErrorProc is solved. The
exception will be raised after ErrorProc exit. Also stack dump on unhandled
exception is fixed.

So I can not see any reason to do not include this patch...

Yury Sidorov, jura at ce.blagovest.com