[fpc-devel] {$DEFINE x := something}

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Fri Jul 1 00:07:41 CEST 2005

Have you guys heard of something called the GUI? I just heard about it yesterday
:-(

Common guys, the command line is useful but let's give Lazarus a run for it's
money here. Err... a run for it's code.

I find the GUI based tools more powerful over the command line in many cases.
Especially if the command line is there in the background for you at your
fingertips.

For example midnight commander can't do anything, compared to what Total
Commander can do. Midnight commander has absolutely no chance compared to Total
commander. I also find for example Apititude for Debian just sucks rocks.. the
command line fixed font just limits you so much. Scrolling through aptitude to
try and find my installed packages on Linux is a pain in the neck. Kpackage is
better visual wise, but it's written in bloaty python code so it also sucks
rocks. (more freepascal based GUI management tools are needed on Linux)

But command tools are useful as a back up, especially when X-windows crashes.  I
use midnight commander to FTP files up to websites in emergency. But still, GUI
things like total commander kick its arse in the end. I think Linux needs more
compiled GUI programs, and less bloaty ones like Mozilla and Open Office.

Sometimes I want to use the command line on Linux just because their GUI
programs are slow and basically suck. I'm sorry, but windows with it's tacky
Windows 2000 look still beats GTK for screen space. I think that's why some guys
still use the command line too much on Linux... because many of the GUI programs
on Linux suck, and are slow. This will change though, as people figure it out.

Florian, what system do you run your IDE in? Linux in an Xterm window?
or a Dos windoh in Windohs?

I do use the console fp-ide on my slower Linux computers and servers who don't
have X-windows installed. If I want to compile something directly on the server
I just fire up the IDE in a TTY. Which is convenient.. but on the desktop, for
the main bulk of work.. I ditch many of the command tools.

My view is that the command line is extremely useful, but not so much in the
ways most Linux users see it as useful. I like it especially if you can build a
GUI program that wraps right around the command line (i.e. lazarus and the
compiler), so that if in emergency the GUI crashes, you still have the command
line as your back up. I love the networking available in linux for Apt-Get
installs and emergencies too. Dos sucks in this area.That and the fact that you
can't even boot to Dos anymore with Windohs.