[fpc-devel] Portability Standards

DrDiettrich drdiettrich at compuserve.de
Tue Jan 4 02:30:44 CET 2005

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> You might also want to have a look at
>
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/porting.pdf
>
> and
>
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/unixrtl.pdf

Ah, thanks :-)

> There are 4 cases for Unix:
>
> 1 Kylix
> 2 FPC/Linux/x86 reusing Kylix libc code.
> 3 FPC/Linux/x86 using general FPC unix code
> 4 Other FPC Unix targets using general FPC unix code
>
> Since 1->2 is an easy port often, so I think in general FPC/Linux/x86 should
> remain switchable between "libc" and "FPC-UNIX" mode.

How important is Kylix at all? Isn't it almost dead now?

> I think it would wise to not use exceptions too deep in the code.
> Compression is one of those things where OOP and exception overhead still
> count.

I'd use exceptions only for fatal errors, which can be caught in the
application code. The cost for raising such exceptions is neglectable,
and catching outside the compressor does not affect the efficiency of
the worker code. The worker code can become simpler this way, because
error checks in every level then are superfluous. OTOH all local
resources then must be protected by try-finally blocks...

DoDi