[fpc-devel] dynamic package support

DrDiettrich drdiettrich at compuserve.de
Sun Feb 27 03:04:07 CET 2005

Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be wrote:

> At work, we have a plugin system which cannot work unless packages are used.

Agreed.

> I also think that Lazarus would benefit from it.

Currently Lazarus must be rebuilt for the installation of custom
controls, which in Delphi can be loaded dynamically. If this behaviour
is related to the lack of dynamic package support, I also vote for an
implementation with high priority.

I do not ask for a Delphi compatible solution, in detail I don't
appreciate that Delphi packages are bound to a specific Delphi version.
I understand that changes to FPC or to the RTL may require a rebuild of
all affected packages, but perhaps this effect can be reduced, somehow.
With regards to Lazarus it would be sufficient when the packages are
rebuilt whenever required, but Lazarus itself should be able to
dynamically load packages.

DoDi