[fpc-devel] dynamic package support

Sat Feb 26 12:05:11 CET 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Hans-Jörg Vasold wrote:
>
> > for a long time support for loading packages at runtime was "planned for
> > later versions".
> >
> > But now i can not find that this is planned anymore. Will FreePascal
> > support dynamic packages in future or not.
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Detailed_2.1.0_branch_todo
>
> However, it had quite low priority the last years because dyn. loaded packages
> for a dynamic moving project like fpc with daily snapshots are a real problem.
> As soon as one unit interface changes, all dependend packages must be
> recompiled anyways. And usually there are only 1-2 fpc projects running at the
> same time on a system so main memory savings are little.

This is 100% correct.

On the other hand, for people who use FPC to develop end-user apps, it makes
sense: they will normally not change their installed FPC every 2 months.

For example:
At work, we have a plugin system which cannot work unless packages are used.
I also think that Lazarus would benefit from it.

Michael.