[fpc-devel] bug 3626

Konstantin Münning konstantin at muenning.com
Wed Feb 2 17:31:06 CET 2005

>rstar at mnet-online.de wrote:
>
>>int64 <> integer ???
>
>The compiler reports a range check error depending on $R as
>warning or error. So
>where is the problem? What do you expect to happen?

If I got it right the question is about a comparison statement of two
integer numbers. IMHO from the logocal view this should not produce a
compiler error or a runtime error as you can compare any two numbers
even if the underlying data types are not the same. Logically it's OK to
check if 600000000000000 <> 3. So the production of range check errors
(runtime or compiletime) is IMHO logically wrong. Warnings are OK as it
may be an unintentional error but if the compiler compiles

int64 <> integer

as

int64temp := integer;
int64 <> int64temp

it would be just the intended behaviuor in any 'normal' situation I can
imagine.

Have a nice day,
--
Konstantin Münning              ,,,
www.muenning.com              ( o o )                  koko at muenning.com
             Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.
                                     -- Leonard Brandwein
                                (-O-)
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.
The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has
ever been.                          -- Alan Ashley-Pitt