[fpc-devel]Proposal for audo-destructors

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 12 13:07:24 CEST 2004

> Absence of automatic construction/destruction of
> classes is very painfull and it can significantly
> degrade the
> development process (i.e. smart pointers and RAII are
> impossible).

Very painfull is a bit exaggerated :-)

> It's one of the greatest flaws of Pascal relatevly to C (the second thing
> are Templates of cource).

C doesn't do that. I assume you mean C++.

> Are there any plans for serious language
> extensions in this way for "post 2.0" releases of FPC ?

No. There is a big resistance against such features, mostly because
the benefits are superficial, and the idea is unpascallike.

Moreover it will be a Delphi incompability.

> P.S. The simpliest proposal for syntax for auto construction/destruction
> could be like (maybe with some restrictions
>      on constructors/destructors):
>
>  Procedure Something;
>  Var T:tMyClass;Auto;
>  Begin   <- T auto created here
>     If ... Then Exit; <- T auto destructed here
>  End;    <- T auto destructed here
>
>  P.P.S. The "auto" modifier should affect only stack
> variables.
>         There's no great need of this for global vars.

I don't like it. Either go the full way (like e.g. with ansistrings) or
don't go there at all. This is a hack.