[fpc-devel] bug report

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 11 09:27:30 CEST 2004

> http://www.freepascal.org states:
>>Version 1.0.10 is the latest stable version the Free Pascal.
>
> http://www.us.freepascal.org/develop.html states:
>>Download Daily Update of Release Tree (version 1.0.x)
>>
>>These snapshots contain the latest bug fixes, without any major new
>> feature.
>>This should be more stable than the development snapshots (and even the
>> last
>>official release), but there is still no guarantee that these snapshots
>> are
>>bugfree.
>
> The developers consider 1.9.4 unstable; it is only a beta version.
> Therefore, I would rather not rely on it.
> It is disappointing that the latest snapshot for the stable version
> of Free Pascal is dated 2004-05-18 and that the fix for this bug has
> not been applied to 1.0.10 (or 1.0.11).

We don't have the time to backport fixes. Also a lot of the fixes can't be
backported to 1.0.x because of flaws in the design of 1.0.x.

The 1.9.4 beta is at least as stable as 1.0.10.

The daily snapshots of 1.9.5 can be more unstable. But in a lot of cases
they are as stable as the latest 1.9.x beta release