[fpc-devel] bug report

Chess Player expandafter at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 09:10:57 CEST 2004

Peter Vreman wrote
> It is already fixed in 1.9.4

Compiling with 1.9.4 produces error messages, ending with

error setting exception n°0D
error setting exception n°0E
error setting exception n°0F
error setting exception n°10
error setting exception n°11
61 Lines compiled, 0.3 sec
error setting exception n°00
error setting exception n°01
error setting exception n°03
error setting exception n°04
error setting exception n°05
error setting exception n°06
error setting exception n°07
error setting exception n°08
error setting exception n°09
error setting exception n°0A
error setting exception n°0B
error setting exception n°0C
error setting exception n°0D
error setting exception n°0E
error setting exception n°0F
error setting exception n°10
error setting exception n°11

Despite the plethora of errors, an executable is produced.
Running it yields

error setting exception n°10
error setting exception n°11
Buffer: ----
In buffer, changing byte number 0 1 2 3
Buffer should now be "EEEE".
Buffer: EEEE
error setting exception n°00
error setting exception n°01
error setting exception n°03
error setting exception n°04
error setting exception n°05
error setting exception n°06
error setting exception n°07
error setting exception n°08
error setting exception n°09
error setting exception n°0A
error setting exception n°0B
error setting exception n°0C
error setting exception n°0D
error setting exception n°0E
error setting exception n°0F
error setting exception n°10
error setting exception n°11

The bug has been fixed, but now something else is awry.

http://www.freepascal.org states:

http://www.us.freepascal.org/develop.html states:
>Download Daily Update of Release Tree (version 1.0.x)
>
>These snapshots contain the latest bug fixes, without any major new feature.
>This should be more stable than the development snapshots (and even the last
>official release), but there is still no guarantee that these snapshots are
>bugfree.

The developers consider 1.9.4 unstable; it is only a beta version.
Therefore, I would rather not rely on it.
It is disappointing that the latest snapshot for the stable version
of Free Pascal is dated 2004-05-18 and that the fix for this bug has
not been applied to 1.0.10 (or 1.0.11).

When the bug became evident to me, I ported the program I was working on
to TMT Pascal, where it evolved so much that when I moved it back to
Free Pascal (because of support for long filenames) it was no longer affected
by the bug.  Nevertheless, it is troubling to think that bugs of this sort
are lurking in the shadows.