[fpc-devel]promised tthread patch

KJK::Hyperion noog at libero.it
Fri Nov 14 21:34:46 CET 2003

At 13.56 14/11/2003, you wrote:
>Probably not complete, but an overview of what I have in mind -- read the
>notes in the file.

I don't agree with the notes about Suspend/Resume. Suspending a thread on
POSIX is possible, as long as you define what "suspending" means. Assuming
a "suspended" thread is a thread that doesn't execute application code,
forcing the target thread to wait on a mutex would be enough, IMHO (on a
side note, this is how some third party extensions for Windows implement
SIGSTOP semantics). Don't be too quick about dismissing "suspending" as
"non-portable": condition variables and thread canceling were thought as
*impossible* to implement on Win32, before RedHat successfully implemented
the POSIX threads interface on Win32