[fpc-devel]Linking problems with fpc cvs

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat May 10 18:09:26 CEST 2003

> > The spec file also compiles smart.
> >

> > > I think this is simply a fault, the platform building doesn't seem to
> > > be included. RELEASE_1_0_8_PRE1 works fine.
> > >
> > > I can't build FIXES_1_0_0 because of this either, on *BSD, however
> > > simply
> > >
> > > OPT="-Fu/full/path/to/fpc/fcl/freebsd" solves it for me.
> >
> > I solved it, by adding -Fl../$(OS_TARGET) to the fcl/net/Makefile.fpc
> > options.
> > Now I'm trying to compile a fpc rpm under RH9. First bug is the deprecated
> > rpm call to build the package. This can easily be fixed in the
> > Makefile.fpc with
> > rpm <options> || rpmbuild <options>
> >
> > Then I'm getting the next error:
> >
> > error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
> >   /usr/doc/fpc-1.0.8/examples/...
> >
> > Somehow the examples went to /usr/doc instead of /usr/share/doc.
>
> It seems that fpcmake creates a lot of code like the following:
>
> ifdef BSDhier
> DOCPREFIXDIR=share/doc
> else
> DOCPREFIXDIR=doc
> endif

BSDHIER enforces a BSD filesystem hierarchy,
and share/doc is the typical BSD locationto put docs

BSDHIER however does more things;

- /usr/local is default $PREFIX
- sources will go to $PREFIX/share/src
- examples to $PREFIX/share/examples

IOW as a rule, all platform independant stuff will go to $PREFIX/share.

----
The problem is where do most linux distro's put these things nowadays? Maybe
the "linux" locations are simply outdated, and should be updated.

I checked for slackware 8.1, and that puts docs in /usr/doc, but symlinks
/usr/share/doc to /usr/doc.