[fpc-devel]Excess of docs in win32 distribuition

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Jul 21 11:51:50 CEST 2003

> On maandag, jul 21, 2003, at 05:59 Europe/Brussels, Karl Brandt wrote:
>
> > I dowloaded fpc110win32 from sourceforge and noticed that there are 2
> > html documents packages (doc-htm and doc-html).
> >
> > I suggest to drop one of the two. Which one is a 6MB size file.
>
> Thanks, I've deleted docs-htm.zip from the archive. The main ftp site
> and the sourceforge mirror have already been updated, the other mirrors
> should follow automatically tonight.
>
> > Another suggestion is to make pdf optional since almost all computers
> > have browsers
>
> Almost all computers also have pdf readers.

Besides the reasons that Jonas gave; the PDF docs are the authoritative ones
in the FPC project. The html only for ease of use for certain classes of
people.

However, since the size of the distributions are increasing with each
version, and Michael was already thinking about a installer application that
downloads the components.

This way also rarely used parts like documentation source, ide src etc can
be cut from the avg distribution, or better, installed on demand.

This will however mean that old versions have to remain on the server longer
(to allow on demand installation additions later), which might be a problem
with mirroring and discspace requirements for a full mirror.