[fpc-devel]fp and 4nt shell

XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Oct 15 13:16:31 CEST 2002

Date sent:      	Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:48:34 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
From:           	Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be>
To:             	fpc-devel at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl
Subject:        	Re: [fpc-devel]fp and 4nt shell
Send reply to:  	fpc-devel at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl

> > >> >  Free Pascal IDE  Version 0.9.2
> > >> >4NT: Unknown command "-"

 It would help to know what exactly is supposed to be started there,
I guess - Pierre, any idea? I'd expect either some problem with
internal commands (is there used any of them?) and/or using different
switch character for parameters.

> > >It points to 4nt. I forget to say that i trayed to run it under
> > >win2000. Maybe problem there, but without 4nt shell fp works OK.
> > I don't know 4NT,
> > but the program does require a shell that knows the /C switch...
> > Humm.... I have no idea how to fix this...

 JPSoft's interpreters (i.e. 4nt as well) _do_ support this switch.

> Make the 'batch execution command' customizable:
>
> [ ] use COMSPEC when using shell commands
> [ ] use this shell command : [_________________]
>
> e.g. The  editor I use, (PFE) does this.

 I don't think this is really needed, at least not until M$ stops
supporting DOS compatibility altogether (COMSPEC should be always
present). The best is to use an environment variable if available,
and to resort to the default command interpreter for that particular
platform (sh for Unix, CMD.EXE for WinNT and OS/2, COMMAND.COM for
DOS), IMHO. If people want to change the interpreter, they can always
set the environment variable (even just for fp).

Tomas