[fpc-devel]unicode

Florian Klaempfl Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de
Thu Nov 7 14:29:34 CET 2002

At 14:06 07.11.2002, you wrote:
>Hi.
>
>Is it posible to make fpc to support unicode source (principle)?

Of course it is, and it shouldn't be that hard.

But would be the use of it?  The only thing I could
imagine are comments or constant strings.
But I guess people who need this use MBCS instead of unicode, no?

Furthermore, the 1.1 compiler contains codepage support for the input
source, so you can specify how constant characters are converted to
unicode when doing a wide string conversion for a constant string. Of
course, this is only useful for languages with <=256 characters,
it doesn't help users with very large character sets. Furthermore, the
current implementation doesn't support dynamic loading of code pages
and only the common (for me common :) )
code pages (850,437 and iso 8xxx-1) are compiled in.