[fpc-devel]Just joined

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Sat Jun 22 22:27:42 CEST 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Robert Young wrote:

> Michael.VanCanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Robert Young wrote:
> >

> > >  Hi I just joined your mailing list so this question may be a foolish
> > > one.
> > >
> > >  I downloaded fpc 1.06 just a little while ago and was paying around on
> > > NT4.
> > >
> > >  I compiled C:\pp\examples\fcl\gtkdemo.pp which compiled fine but when I
> > > ran it, it was complaining that I needed
> > >
> > >  gdk-1.3.dll.
> > >
> > >  I was puzzled as to why I could not find a reference to where to get it
> > > from the FPC site
> >
> > GTK is a library which we don't make, we just provide units that allow
> > you to use it. Therefore you cannot download it from our site.
>
> Is it not under GNU license? I thought the FPC site can give it away with the
> source if they wish.

Yes we could.

> If it is a band width problem I can try to arrange to give you a box in Canada
> to mirror to it, if would help, I have a cable modem connection and about 100G
> of space.

It's not our job to distribute third-party libraries. If we would do
GTK, we'd have to distribute x-forms, interbase/firebird, mysql,
postgresql and some others as well.

I provided a link, that should be enough.

> > But I will add a link to the official site on our site.
> >
> > > but through goggle I did find
> > >
> > >  http://gtk.php.net/download.php
> >
> > The official site is http://www.gtk.org/
>

> > >  which provided the dlls I needed ...BUT now that the demo runs it look
> > > horrible.
> > >
> > >  The spacing between letters are incorrect (about 1/2 of what they
> > > should be).
> > >
> > >  Is this normal?
> >
> > Well, I would need a screenshot to see how wrong it exactly is.
> > But do not expect a program which looks 100% like a windows program;
> > GTK does not provide that kind of functionality. It is a X-Windows
> > toolkit, ported to Windows.
>
> [Image]
>
> This is what I meant when I said horrible.

Strange.
It didn't show that way when I tried it. But then I tried under Linux.

> > >  If not where can I get the correct dll's that I should be using.
> >
> > See the above link. Do NOT download the 2.0 version of the DLLs.
> > The 1.2 or 1.3 version should be the correct version.
> >

> The app is actually looking for gdk-1.3.dll etc.
> Do you mean that gdk-1.2.dll (if it is called this) is compatible with
> gdk-1.3.dll

It's a tricky issue on windows. For the most part, they are probably
compatible.

> I did find gtk+-1.3.0-20020313.zip on http://www.gtk.org/  but it contains
> libgtk-0.dll and libgdk-0.dll are these the same files? Do I need to change
> the FPC source to use these?

Changing the dll file names will probably be the easiest thing to do.

Michael.