[fpc-devel]Bad heap manager?

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Thu Feb 28 08:26:23 CET 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Peter Vreman wrote:

> > I could send my unfortunate program (the day after tomorrow) but it
> > is relatively big.
>
> Can you send it to me

I'm quite sure it uses a lot of reallocmem's and FPC's hepmanager is
currently very bad at compacting the heap (so most of the time we have to
allocate a new block when someone does a realloc mem and we end up with a
lot of small, often even contiguous, blocks which are never concatenated).

Concatenating when allocating instead of when freeing would help here, but
it would probably slow down the heap manager in cases where this wouldn't
be necessary otherwise.

Jonas