[fpc-devel]documentation snapshot

Lee, John LeeJ at logica.com
Fri Sep 22 16:38:54 CEST 2000

That's what I like on a Fri afternoon, someone coming right off the fence...
difficult to respond w/o mentioning the 4 letter word h*** (it used to be
'never mention the euro' but now it's obviously changed), but on my p233 +
my p650 under w*****, I can read & navigate the docs easier & faster with
h??? than with PDF just by clicking on 'favourites'... I don't normally need
to print them...

Anyway forgetting about h... (which I suppose you'll find quite easy!)...
you seem to agree (or not disagree anyway) that a more up to date doc
snapshot would be good, so if you have one why not just put one onto fpc/ftp
every now & then eg under \latest_docs\ with readme saying...beta docn
release? In return, I'll keep making suggestions about them, & will try not
to mention, you-know-what. I'll certainly deprecate its use in future
(except where it's ok)... Regards John
----------------------
> I know that Michael (slightly?) prefers pdf ('deprecation' of the html
> version seems a bit strong!)

It cannot be said strongly enough :-)
I will NEVER take arguments into consideration that mention HTML.

>  but on a windoze system html version is much
> better for navigation around docs using ones web browser ... so tho'
> quality, as you put it, isn't so good it's certainly preferable for me
and,
> I guess the non trivial nos of fpc users (especially new ones) who have
> windoze.

What is the advantage of HTML in your opinion ?
- Both are hyperlinked formats.
- PDF is standard searchable, HTML is not.
- PDF has good print quality, HTML has not - it even cannot print multiple
sections.
- PDF has a handy bookmark pane, HTML has not.
- PDF is a standard format, HTML is rendered differently depending on your
  browser and it's settings.

And then I leave out the fact that the HTML is imperfect, and renders
absolutely
horrible, because that is - I admit - largely a matter of taste. The above
are
more or less objective, verifiable advantages of PDF.

> I didn't mention daily snapshots just one every month or so eg one about
> now...so users could use & make comments on the latest version and not one
> that is too long out of date & of course, based on comments above I'd
favour
> doing a 'snapshot' of html (as well as pdf etc) - I'd do it myself if html
> doc gen worked in windoze.

It unfortunately doesn't even work well on Linux, you need the almost
absolute
latest latex2html in order to get some correct output :(

> The documentation is good in fpc (for which you should all be
congratulated)
> & imo, it's very as important to improve it & keep it up to date - don't
> forget that for non developers or non gurus it's even more important.

I couldn't agree more where that is concerned, and I do my best for that.
As I said, any comments/suggestions are welcome.

That is, as long as they concern the content, not the HTML layout :-)

Michael.

fpc-devel maillist  -  fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org