[fpc-devel]Systems 2000 report

Fri Nov 10 22:15:57 CET 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Stefan wrote:

> : On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:44:52 +0100, Sebastian Günther wrote:
>
> >- The Kylix 1.0 IDE _will definitely_ use Wine to run.
>
> The IDE _most definitely_ does *NOT* use Wine to run. Whoever told you,
> does not have a clue.

Hah, have you seen the IDE ? have you run 'ldd' on it and checked that it
does not use it ? until you can say that you did, I would be careful
with saying that someone 'does not have a clue' .

> Have a look at
>
>   nntp://forums.borland.com/borland.public.kylix.non-technical

It most definitely DOES need that, it was even published on their web site,
that initial versions of the IDE would use wine. I am not claiming that later
versions (when the CLX is stable enough) will still use it, but it was said
(don't have the URL anymore) that initial versions WOULD and indeed do use
wine.

Applications produced with the IDE will not use it, since they will use Qt;
but the IDE is another matter. The IDE is tightly bound to windows, with
it's use of the registry, BDE, COM and so on; it would not be realistic to
expect it to be ported in less than a year to a non-windows environment.

Michael.